Monday, July 19, 2004

B- B- B-O-R-I-N-G.



Did I ever mention I get bored easily? In case such a thing was not obvious.



And that's kind of funny, because I have one of the most boring jobs in the world. Yet my job, which I like very much, has taught me to embrace boredom.



I edit the most technical gobbledygook you will ever see. At times, I am nothing more than a glorified copyeditor, editing the same kinds of pages over and over and OVER.



It used to be, back in the days of the Great Unpleasantness, that when my emotional life was going haywire, which was ALWAYS, I couldn't concentrate at work. So I would write e-mail or cry or go running or get coffee or do anything but my job.



Now, however, things have changed. Instead of fighting the boredom, I have surrendered to it!  I let it soothe me, wash over me in waves! Oh, I bob up for air every hour or so, desperate for e-mail from this or that cute boy; panic for a minute; then go back under. It's cold and unpleasant, and I think I can't possibly stay under, but then I do. And I get a lot done!  



Such a thing would not be possible, most likely, if I  were creatively unfulfilled, like I was for so many years. But now I'm a writer who writes, so what else can I ask for? Oh sure, I can ask for a bestselling book and a movie starring Jake Gyllenhall, and a chance to personally coach him for the numerous racy not-quite-s*x scenes!



The bottom line is, though, I'm doing what I want to do, with the potential to make money at it; and this cushy little gig here at The Company gives me the time and flexibility to make it happen, and the cash to keep me comfy in the meantime. So I am set. For now. Until the next freaking tragedy happens in my life. (See why boredom is good? Boredom = no tragedies!)



Except, that is,  for the romance part. And that, my friends, is when I get bored. When nothing is happening on the romance front.

 

The funny thing, there is usually a lot happening. I've usually got one on base, and one on deck, and one on the bench waiting around for his turn, which is how I might characterize things now. But you know how baseball games are *so* slow? Not much happens for a long time, even though things are probably building up to some dramatic climax (pun intended - I HOPE!)

 

Yeah. Well.

 

Boooorrrring. 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment